Sam C. Steele, CFC is the Constitutional Tax Collector serving Monroe County, Florida. Mr. Steele began his tenure at the Tax Collector’s Office in 2017 and served as Tax Manager before being elected in 2020.
Mr. Steele is an alumnus of Florida State University and a former commercial real estate appraiser for Cushman & Wakefield Regional, Inc. in Boca Raton. He provides over nine years of experience in financial accounting and budget development and a vision to modernize and innovate the Tax Collector’s Office. He takes pride in the Tax Collector's mission to “Exceed Expectations in Customer Service.”
Mr. Steele is currently the youngest Tax Collector in the State of Florida and the youngest Tax Collector in Monroe County history. Within his first year of officially being sworn into office, the Tax Collector's office has had a record-breaking year. Some of his team's accomplishments include, but are not limited to:
- First in Florida to be approved by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles for a pilot program for virtual golf cart inspections to LSV conversions. This prevents the inconvenience of taxpayers having to tow their golf carts as far north as Opa-Locka in Miami-Dade County for an inspection.
- First organization in Monroe County to have an artificial intelligent digital employee.
- Second and only other Florida Tax Collector to be approved and certified as a Passport Acceptance Facility by the U.S. Department of State and Homeland Security to provide passport services for the public.
- Highest collections of tourist development tax (vacation rental tax or "bed tax") for Monroe County on record at $69 million. This tax comes from vacation rentals and the audit and enforcement of illegal rental properties.
- Largest unused fees distribution for Monroe County on record at over $5.5 million. This revenue is distributed to the local taxing authorities to fund essential public services in our community.
- Highest collection of commissions and fees for Monroe County on record at $10.5 million. The Constitutional Tax Collector's Office is the only self-funded government agency in the county. We receive a fee or commission from the services provided and the revenue goes towards the operation of our office. This is how we are able to improve our services in a fiscal conservative matter. Any remaining revenue in surplus of our approved expenses is distributed to the local taxing authorities at the end of the fiscal year.
Mr. Steele is a proud father to his four-year old son and two-year old daughter, and a devoted husband to his lovely wife, Lauren, who is a sixth-generation Conch. Originally from Miami, Florida, Mr. Steele met his wife while attending Florida State University and they always had a goal to settle and raise a family in the Florida Keys. When Mr. Steele is not spending time with family or working, he is immersing himself in the community, providing strong, effective leadership and involvement in various non-profit organizations. Some of his community involvement include:
- Board of Director for United Way of Collier and the Keys
- Board of Director and Current Treasurer for A Positive Step of Monroe County
- Board of Director and Current Treasurer for the Florida Keys Young Republicans
- Board of Director for Key Haven Park and Recreation Inc.
- Sunset Key West Rotary Club
- Student Mentor for Take Stock in Children
- Leadership Monroe County Class XXVIII Alumnus
- Past Chair for the American Cancer Society Diamond Gala of the Keys
- Key West Chamber of Commerce
- Marathon Chamber of Commerce
- Key Largo Chamber of Commerce
Mr. Steele has an open-door policy and encourages the public to contact him with any questions, concerns, or suggestions. He may be reached by email anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.