Sam C. Steele, CFC is the Constitutional Tax Collector serving Monroe County, Florida. Mr. Steele began his tenure at the Tax Collector’s Office in 2017 and served as Tax Manager before being elected in 2020.
Mr. Steele is an alumnus of Florida State University and a former commercial real estate appraiser for Cushman & Wakefield Regional, Inc. in Boca Raton. He provides over nine years of experience in financial accounting and budget development to this office, and he is the driving force behind the continuous improvement and innovation of the organization. He takes pride in the Monroe County Tax Collector Office’s mission to “Exceed Expectations in Customer Service.”
Mr. Steele is currently the youngest Tax Collector in the State of Florida and the youngest Tax Collector in Monroe County history. Within less than a year of officially being sworn in to office, Mr. Steele has had a record-breaking year. Some of his accomplishments during his first 10 months in office include, but are not limited to:
- First in Florida to be approved by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles for a pilot program for virtual golf cart inspections to LSV conversions
- First organization in Monroe County to have an artificial intelligent digital employee
- First Tax Collector and government office in Florida to provide insurance quoting kiosks to the public (coming soon to each office location)
- Second Tax Collector in Florida to provide passport services for the public
- Highest collections of tourist development tax (vacation rental tax) for Monroe County on record
- Largest excess fee distribution for Monroe County on record at over $5.5 million
- Highest collection of commissions and fees for Monroe County on record at $10.5 million
Mr. Steele is a proud father to his four-year old son and two-year old daughter, and a devoted husband to his lovely wife, Lauren, who is a sixth-generation Conch. Originally from Miami, Florida, Mr. Steele met his wife while attending Florida State University and they always had a goal to settle and raise a family in the Florida Keys. When Mr. Steele is not spending time with family or working, he is immersing himself in the community, providing strong, effective leadership and involvement in various non-profit organizations. Some of his community involvement include:
- Sunset Key West Rotary Club
- Student Mentor for Take Stock in Children
- Leadership Monroe County Class XXVIII
- Past Chair for the American Cancer Society Diamond Gala of the Keys
- Board Member and Current Treasurer for A Positive Step of Monroe County
- Key West Chamber of Commerce
- Marathon Chamber of Commerce
- Key Largo Chamber of Commerce
- Board Member for Key Haven Park and Recreation Inc.
Mr. Steele has an open-door policy and encourages the public to contact him with any questions, concerns, or suggestions. Email him anytime at email@example.com.