Click here to fill out an application for Florida birth record.
Since birth records are required for obtaining or renewing Florida driver’s licenses and State identification cards, the partnership between the Tax Collector and the Florida Department of Health in Monroe County makes this process easier by consolidating services and allowing residents to complete both transactions at the same office. Please note that birth certificate services are only offered at our Key West Driver License Office and Key Largo Branch Office.
Obtaining a Florida Birth Certificate
Step 1: Picture ID
YOU MUST BRING ONE VALID AND CURRENT PICTURE IDENTIFICATION (ID) TO APPLY FOR A FLORIDA BIRTH CERTIFICATE.
If you are a parent requesting a copy of your child’s Florida birth certificate, you must bring your valid and current picture ID. Acceptable forms of picture ID include:
- Driver’s License,
- State Identification Card,
- Passport, and/or
- Military Identification Card.
Step 2: Eligibility
Determine your eligibility (relationship) to receive a Florida birth certificate. You must meet one (1) of the following criteria:
- Be the child named on the Florida birth certificate AND 18 years of age or older, or
- Be the recorded or listed parent of the person named on the Florida birth certificate.
Step 3: Certificate Holder Information
Be prepared to provide information about the person named on the Florida birth certificate:
- Full name of person at birth and any subsequent legal name changes,
- Date of birth,
- City or county of birth,
- Mother’s full name including her maiden surname, and
- Father’s full name (if his name is on the record).
Step 4: Applicant Information
Be prepared to provide information about the person obtaining the Florida birth certificate:
- Full name,
- Relationship to person named on the certificate (father, mother, self, etc.),
- Mailing address (include city, state and zip code), and
- Daytime phone number.
Reminder: If applicant is self, the applicant must complete this application and provide valid photo identification. Acceptable forms of identification are the following: Driver’s License, State Identification Card, Passport, and/or Military Identification Card.
Fees & Payment Information
- Certified Computer Certificate: $16.00 Florida Department of Health Birth Certificate Fee
- Available for all Florida births 1917 to present.
- Computer generated copy of the original record.
- Accepted as legal proof of birth and citizenship.
- Checks, cash, money orders, and all credit/debit cards are acceptable forms of payment. Current and valid photo ID is required. Acceptable forms of ID are Driver’s License, State Identification Card, Passport and/or Military Identification Card.
- Please note that there is a 2.5% convenience fee charged by our third-party payment processor, Payment Express, for all credit card payments.
- Florida birth certificates may still be obtained through the Florida Department of Health.
Not born in Florida?
Find out more information on how to order Birth Certificates from other states.