Tax Collector Responsibilities
The Office of Tax Collector is authorized by Florida's Constitution, as a separate entity from other County Departments or Agencies. The Tax Collector is elected, by the Citizens of Monroe County, and is privileged to serve four-year terms. The Tax Collector is an agent for various state and local government agencies, for the collection of revenue and public funding. It is the responsibility of the Tax Collector to invest these revenues and funds, pending their timely distribution, to various state, local agencies, and taxing authorities.
A wide range of services, are provided by the Tax Collector, to the citizens of Monroe County, which include:
- Collection of real property, tangible personal property, non-ad Valorem, sales, and tourist development taxes with oversight from the Department of Revenue
- Issuance of Business Tax Receipts on behalf of Monroe County
- Agent for the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles issuing driver licenses and identification cards. Issuing titles and registrations for motor vehicles, mobile homes, and vessels. Issuance of Handicapped Parking Placards
- Agent for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission issuing hunting and fishing licenses and/or permits
- Agent for the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services accepting applications for and renewing Concealed Weapons Licenses
- Collect, balance, invest and remit funds to the proper state agency or taxing authority
- Issuance of birth certificates
- Issuance of City of Key West Residential Parking Permits
The Tax Collector operates as a "fee office", which means a fee or commission is earned for the services rendered. These fees and commissions are outlined in the Florida Statutes, and established by the Florida Legislature. The annual budget must be approved by the Florida Department of Revenue, and includes any amendments made during each fiscal year. Excess fees are remitted to each government agency, in the same proportion as they were paid, at the end of each fiscal year.